How I bring nature into my everyday life
Anyone who knows me, knows I love nature. Whether that’s hiking in the canyons, wandering through the desert, or just sitting on a sandy beach soaking up the sun - I’m an outdoors junkie.
There’s something intrinsically soothing about nature, and when I’m feeling stressed or rundown, the simple act of inhaling fresh air instantly re-centers me. Not to mention the beauty and grandeur itself is awe-inspiring!
Because of my infatuation with nature, and its healing properties - I’ve made it a point to infuse all areas of my life with natural influences in my pursuit of a healthy and balanced lifestyle. When Kiehl’s asked me to share my feelings about how I bring nature into my everyday life, I was thrilled! With 166 years of experience, they really know what they’re talking about when it comes to using natural ingredients. They’ve actually sourced ingredients from nature from all over the world — even Antarctica! With that in mind, here are my favorite tips for how I work to infuse nature at every turn to live a happy and healthy life.
My Skincare Routine
Given my propensity toward all things natural – skincare is a great place to infuse nature. Our skin is our largest organ after all, so it’s imperative that we treat it with respect and do everything in our power to keep it healthy. I absolutely love to use products enriched with natural ingredients that are plucked from the great outdoors. I’ve always been a fan of Kiehl’s products—my mother introduced me to their products when I was a teenager and I’ve been going to the Santa Monica store ever since. Kiehl’s is really great about tailoring a skincare routine for your specific skin type (all you need to do is ask one of their Kiehl’s Customer Representatives for a consultation—they wear white lab coats so you can’t miss them). Here is the routine I was prescribed when I was last in their store. It doesn’t require too many steps and you may find it’s a great starting point if you’re looking to get healthier, glowing skin.
- I like using Kiehl’s Calendula Cleanser for a deep face wash in the morning after I get out of the shower. It smells like citrus and helps give me a little boost if I’m still feeling sleepy.
- Then I use the toner which has whole Calendula petals in it to balance and soften my skin. The flower itself is a vibrant hue of marigold orange, and the petals have this almost magical ability to gently soothe my skin.
- After that, I like to show my eye area a little love—one of my favorites is Creamy Eye with Avocado because who doesn’t love avocado? It also works really well under my concealer.
- I like to seal it all in with a light moisturizer in the summer and a more nourishing cream in the winter months.
- Last but not least, UV protection is a must, especially here in Los Angeles where the sun shines all year! I make sure I use at least SPF 50 every day. It’s the best way to keep skin looking young and wrinkle-free!
- At night, I swap out my Calendula cleanser for a makeup removing cleansing oil that works magic on my waterproof mascara. It smells like lavender and I swear it helps put me to sleep.
- Three times a week, or whenever my skin feels run down and dried out from all the makeup and stress that comes with my day job, I use the new Calendula mask to instantly combat that dull, dry feeling. It immediately cools your skin thanks to the addition of aloe, and the soothing effects of the calendula extract hard at work as it provides an instant moisture boost. The best part is, it only takes 5 minutes!
Take It Outside
After skincare, one of my favorite ways to keep healthy is by exercising outdoors. It’s important to find what works for you, and what makes you happy. I personally love doing yoga in my back yard, cycling, hiking, really anything that gets my heart rate up and my endorphins going. I make it a point to find activities that bring me outside, and allow me to enjoy my surroundings. In addition to making me feel stronger, physical exercise has great benefits for my mind. If I’m ever feeling stressed or anxious, a good sweat is the perfect cure — especially when it allows me to spend time outdoors.
If you’re craving nature but can’t make it outside—there are tons of creative ways to bring it to you! Do you spend a lot of time at your desk? Get a potted plant to brighten up your space. My favorites are Paperwhites. They’re beautiful to look at, and they have incredible air purifying capabilities. I try to make sure that there is a window open when I’m indoors to prevent the air from getting stale. When I know I’m going to be on set and spending a lot of time indoors, I like to incorporate nature into my outfit by wearing either a floral print, or silk flowers in my hair. And everyone knows how much I love flower crown filters on Snapchat!
My body works hard for me, and I make a point of repaying it by only eating clean foods, and things that nourish and replenish my body with the necessary vitamins and minerals. I love colorful meals, overflowing with fresh vegetables representing every color on the spectrum. I make it a habit to buy organic, and swing by the farmer’s market for the freshest fare. Another key part of my diet is staying hydrated. On my active days, I make sure to drink 1 ounce of water per my body weight. The benefits of hydration on one’s overall wellness cannot be overstated, but I especially love the natural glow it gives my skin.
These are just a few of the ways that nature is present in my everyday life. While everyone’s journey is unique, I hope that these ideas will inspire you as you travel your own path to health & happiness.