WHAT CAUSES AN UNEVEN SKIN TONE
Uneven skin tone refers to skin marks and pigmentation which can be caused by external environmental and behavioural stressors. While some discolouration across skin is natural with age, an even skin tone is a sign of a healthy and protected complexion.
This skin concern applies to all skin types – so it’s important to understand how to protect your complexion and address apparent discolouration with the right ingredients and skincare routine.
Thankfully for all of us, certain brightening skincare ingredients can help to even out skin tone. Discover the causes and features of this concern ahead and learn how to attain a beautiful and radiant complexion for the long-term.
WHAT IS UNEVEN SKIN TONE?
Where uneven skin relates to rough, patchy or flaky skin texture, uneven skin tone refers to the appearance of complexions. Features of uneven skin tone on face are typically noticed from our 30s onwards, but they can occur earlier depending on the cause. Discolouration across skin occurs due to a change in levels of melanin (skin pigment), causing areas of skin that are darker. A few terms used to describe these patches of different coloured skin include:
- Sun spots
- Dark spots
- Liver spots
WHAT CAUSES UNEVEN SKIN TONE ON FACE?
Varying factors can contribute to this common skin concern. To understand how to fix uneven skin tone you’ll first need to know what caused it. Like other skin occurrences such as blemishes or redness in skin, uneven skin tone can be caused by external, behavioural and internal factors. These include:
- UV radiation. Repeated exposure to the sun can cause melanin to produce in excess, causing darker areas of skin. This is why patches of discolouration is sometimes referred to as ‘sun spots’.
- Hormones. Melanin production in skin can sometimes be exacerbated by a change in hormone stimulation. This is commonly experienced during pregnancy (termed ‘pregnancy mask’).
- Pollution. Alongside UV radiation, other external stressors can alter skin’s appearance. Particles and gases which contribute to air pollution can permeate skin. As our faces are one of the most exposed part of the body, this can lead to an uneven skin tone on face.
HOW TO EVEN OUT SKIN TONE
The right supportive skincare routine can help you to both protect skin against future discouloration and address current dark spots on face. Clearly Corrective™ is Kiehl’s plant-powered collection of brightening products, designed specifically to diminish the appearance of dark spots and promote an even skin tone. See how to get even skin tone with an efficacious skincare routine ahead.
STEP 1: REGULAR EXFOLIATION
The skin cell cycle results in dead skin cells left on the surface layer. This can result in patches of dulled and roughened skin, which also contributes to an uneven skin tone. To clear the way for your skincare products to absorb properly and support a bright complexion, include exfoliation 2–3 times a week. Universal exfoliator Clearly Corrective™ Brightening & Exfoliating Daily Cleanser gently purifies and clears dead skin for softer, visibly brightened complexions.
STEP 2: APPLY TARGETED STEPS
Skincare products that are tailored to specific skin concerns help to bring about the most visible results. If you’re searching how to even skin tone, consider implementing one of our targeted brightening products. Clearly Corrective™ Accelerated Clarity Renewing Ampoules are a two-week antioxidant and phytic acid brightening program, used to support skin after noticeable discolouration or periods of stress.
Another targeted product which can take a permanent place in your routine is Clearly Corrective™ Dark Spot Solution – a dark spot corrector which works to boost brightness and clarity across skin. This facial serum can be applied morning and night, and is packed with activated C, white birch extract and peony extract, which all work together to address skin stress and help even skin tone.
STEP 3: CLEANSE AND MOISTURISE DAILY
Some of your skincare steps are already supporting your brightened and even skin tone goals. Cleansing and moisturising are two universal products for all skin types and are also essential to maintaining clarity across complexions. Cleansers help to remove impurities such as pollutants, which could otherwise permeate skin. Optimal hydration levels are necessary to healthy skin functions, so that complexions are better protected against stress. To even out skin tone even further you can opt for a brightening moisturiser. Clearly Corrective™ Brightening & Smoothing Moisture Treatment is formulated with activated C (a stable form of vitamin C), white birch extract and glycolic acid, for hydrated and clarified skin.
OTHER TIPS TO EVEN SKIN TONE
Alongside specially formulated skincare products, certain lifestyle habits will help to protect against an uneven skin tone on face. Apply your skincare routine consistently (both morning and night) for best results, and follow with these healthy habits:
- Eat a nourishing diet & drink plenty of water. Beautiful skin starts on the inside. A nutrient and fatty acid-rich diet and optimal water intake supports whole-body health, including an even skin tone.
- Wear SPF every day. Sunscreen is one of the most effective ways to combat one of the biggest causes of dark spots and discolouration. Opt for broad spectrum SPF and reapply as directed.
- If your concerns persist, consider getting a professional brightening facial and skin treatment. Talk to your dermatologist about the right option for you.
Enjoyed this article on how to get even skin tone? Keep reading to discover how to care for a damaged skin moisture barrier next.